Q: Excessive play where the cv axle goes into tranny and noise starts st about 30mph and gets louder the faster you go

My car is making a noise starting around 30 mph and gets louder the faster I go. There was quite a bit of play in the stub axle to the transmission so I thought the axle was going bad and changed it but the sound is still there and still has too much play at the axle and transmission.

There are quite a few potential sources of speed dependent noise including wheels, tires, axles, bearings, and so forth. Even if clearance at the transmission output shaft is out of spec, that might not be the source of the noise. If it is though, typically the transmission would have to be removed to replace the bushing and/or bearing at that location. I would recommend that you have a certified mechanic road test the vehicle and if the origin of the noise is not immediately pinpointed, the mechanic will use devices such as "chassis ears" (remote wireless microphones) to localize the noise and then confirm the fault. Once the exact origin of the noise is pinpointed, the mechanic will give you all available repair options so you can decide what to do. If you want to go this route and get it diagnosed, please use YourMechanic’s vehicle noise diagnostic service request page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the absolute best possible results.

3. Excessive play where the cv axle goes into tranny and noise starts st about 30mph and gets louder the faster you go