Q: Excessive oil consumption and sooty exhaust

My car has around 97,000 miles and I purchased it from a specialist dealer. The oil consumption in my car is excessive, approx. 1 liter for every 500 miles. On the left-hand side of the car, the exhaust becomes sooty after around 100 miles. Can you tell me what is causing these problems and what I can do to fix them?

A: For your 2007 Porsche 911, the piston rings...

For your 2007 Porsche 911, the piston rings may be letting excessive oil past them causing the soot build up in the exhaust, and causing the oil consumption. There is an acceptable amount of oil consumption, and 1 liter for 500 miles does sound a little excessive, but the manufacture or dealer may say this is normal. I recommend having a compression test and a cylinder leakage test done to see if you have a weak ring and low compression in one of the cylinders. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose any oil leaks and let you know if any adjustments or repairs are needed.