Q: Excessive engine crank before firing up.

I am a college student and 3 days a week I have a class that I have to go to in the late morning. The first time I start my pickup it usually starts fine without a problem. 9/10 times it starts fine with a cold start. Then after my hour long class, I get in to start it. It will crank for an excessively long time before it finally fires up (Probably anywhere from 5-8 seconds). If I go get some fuel for example and my pickup is not running for maybe 5 minutes but is already warmed up, it will start fine. So it has to sit for a while for this to happen. It has cranked excessively on a cold start a couple of times, but most often it is after it is warmed up and sits for a while. Could it be the fuel pump? I am guessing it has something to do with the fuel delivery. Any advice would be great.

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. This is likely a fuel pressure issue causing fuel to not reach the injectors quickly enough when cranking. If you decide to get this fixed, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your starting issue by inspecting the fuel system and check fuel pressure to pinpoint the cause of this.