Q: Exact location of thermostat.

I want to replace the thermostat on my S4 as my temp gauge reads intermittently. All I have found on the web is about other 4.2L V8s and how it is behind he timing belt. I do not have one. My timing chain is on the back end. I want to do it on my own is all. If I have to bring it in I will, but rather do it myself.

A: The thermostat on the rear chain-driven 4.2...

The thermostat on the rear chain-driven 4.2 V8 is located on the drivers side front of the engine. It is located down low just above the engine oil pan in a black plastic housing. Be certain to use the correct coolant as mixing coolant types can cause clogging of cooling system components such as the radiator or heater core. If you are unsure of it’s replacement, have a certified technician perform the thermostat replacement for you.