Q: Every 3-4 months, my car won't start. It does turn over though.

This started about 1 year ago. Every 3-4 months, my car won't start. It turns over, almost starts, and then dies. Then turning the key, it will continue to turn over, but just won't start. The first time it happened, someone suggested giving it a jump. That worked. Not sure why. So that's what I do every time it happens now. I have no idea what's causing this or seeing any trends for when it happens. Like I said, it only happens every few months. It doesn't start. I jump it. It starts. And then starts every time thereafter for a few months until it randomly doesn't want to start again. The last time this happened just this past Sunday. I didn't have a jump available, so I thought maybe if I just keep trying, it will miraculously start. After trying for about 6 or 7 minutes, it just started on it's own without the jump.

A: If your battery is weak or has bad connecti...

If your battery is weak or has bad connections to the battery, then you may have problems starting the vehicle intermittently. This is due to low voltage to the starter which is taking all the power, while the electronic ignition and the electric fuel pump get cut short. This will cause the vehicle not to start.

You may think the vehicle is turning over okay, but the starter is taking in all of the power just to turn over the motor. You should get the battery and it’s cables checked, as well as the charging system, for any problems by a qualified mechanic so they can diagnose the problem and do any repairs needed to prevent this problem in the future.