Q: Engine turns over, but then shuts down

I recently drove my car on a rather long trip and my SUV performed very well. However, when I left work today and tried to crank it, the engine turned over and then it shut down. Several times I tried to start it and it would crank. Then after 3 seconds, would quit. However, the internal lights came on, even when the car has shut down. What is causing this and what is the remedy?

A: Hi there, thanks for your question about yo...

Hi there, thanks for your question about your 2007 Infiniti FX45. If you have had the battery replaced, or even disconnected for more than 10 minutes for a repair, there is a "relearn" process necessary for the engine’s throttle mechanism in order to re-establish a consistent idle. Some service centers don’t bother with this. It’s also possible your security system is detecting a "mismatch" from your key, which has a unique code. If so, you may need to replace the key’s battery, or have the key replaced or re-coded. If you want to have this checked by a certified mechanic, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect why your car is starting and then dying immediately.