Q: Engine swapped in wont start

Hello, although neither the car nor engine im about to list are options to select on the page, I recently swapped a 5E-FE from a 1992 Toyota Paseo into my 1990 Toyota Starlet GT EP82 and cannot get it to start. I know the engine was running smoothly beforehand and to my full knowledge I have attached all the sensors and vacuum lines, am using my factory 4E-FTE ecu and the engine is currently NA. I know the car is receiving fuel, air, has compression and spark but when i turn the key it just cranks and cranks and cranks refusing to actually turn over. Im stumped and cant think of any way to tackle the problem.

Your first issue is that different years and different motors may have a different wiring that will cause the two harnesses to be incompatible. I would suggest spraying fuel into the throttle body while cranking the engine to see if you can get it to start and to continue spraying it to keep the engine running.

This will let you know if it is fuel-related, such as a problem with the fuel pressure being low or the injectors are not opening. If after spraying the fuel, it still does not start then look at the ignition system to see if the spark is getting to the plugs.

If it is, then check to see if the timing is correct. If you do have fuel and ignition getting to the engine, then the timing of the fuel and spark will be key. If you need further assistance, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come visit your home or office to give you a precise diagnosis for why your car will not start.

3. Engine swapped in wont start