Q: Engine sporadically pops on drivers side and occasionally dies at a stop.

The engine makes popping noises on the drivers side. It's not consistent but it happens about every ten to thirty seconds. At a stop the car dies occasionally. Car also seems to be lightly smoking.

Hello. At this mileage, it is important to check and see if the vehicle needs a tune up. Worn out spark plugs will cause this to occur. I usually check the spark plugs first and then scan the computer for codes to see if there are any recorded codes in the computer or readings that can help with the diagnosis. This can also be caused by a bad camshaft actuator. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the noise and stalling issues.

• Engine sporadically pops on drivers side and occasionally dies at a stop.