Q: Engine shuts down abruptly.

I am really frustrated and tired of my van shutting down - for months now! In the middle of my driving, the engine will just cut off! This is dangerous anywhere, especially on the interstate!! For some details when it happens, the RPM drops to 0, my van keeps rolling, and I lose power steering and brakes. It's Awful and So Scary! Can you tell me what the problem could be?

Hello. There are several components that could be causing the condition you are experiencing:

All of these issues could cause a vehicle to shut off while it is being operated. This problem could also be due to other issues that have not been listed here. I would recommend that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and diagnose your vehicle in order to pinpoint why your car is shutting off.