Q: Engine seizes - 2008 Chevrolet Suburban 2500

What causes the car to seize at 70 mph on the fwy. Stabillitrak light came on and no peer steering. Mechanic says no compression in engine

Waiting for diagnostic.

A: Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. ...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. If the mechanic said that there is no compression in the engine, then there could be 2 things wrong. Either the engine has all of the valves or rings burned or broken, or the timing chain broke and bent all of the valves allowing the crankshaft to continue to rotate.

If the engine is able to rotate by hand, it has a force on it with a sound of air squeezing out, then the engine has compression. Take all of the spark plugs out of the engine and hook up a leak down tester. Listen for any leaks and see what the gauge will read when each cylinder you check at TDC (top dead center). If you would like to get a second expert to check the car, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the engine seizing issue and advise you on repairs.