Q: Engine running rough and overheats while in slow moving traffic or long stops.

My "car" is a 2003 Kawasaki zx6r (636) w/ 31,000 miles. The bike ran a little rough when I bought it and was overheating (but had a low coolant level). I did a coolant flush and added the proper amount. Changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs. Now the bike runs a couple degrees cooler but it's still running upwards of 220 degrees in slow traffic or at stops. The radiator fan does work. I set the idle speed to 1500 because it stalled under hard braking at times. While idling it sometimes "chugs" for a bit. While riding it has power but the power delivery feels choppy. Not harsh but noticeable. You can also hear that the bike is not running that smoothly. The bike is fuel injected and I don't know the condition of the fuel filter. I can find no oil or coolant leaks. Everything is stock minus a Yoshimura RS3 Stainless slip on. (Btw im from Manitoba Canada lol) 90210 is the only zip code I know by heart. The average temp here right now is 50f. Thanks in advance!

Hi there. You need to first see why it is running hot. Typically it is caused by a failure in the radiator. These are notorious for clogging internally. You would then need to do a compression test. Most of the time if the engine is getting hot it has weakened the head gasket and caused a small leak. These issues will typically be related to one another.

• Engine running rough and overheats while in slow moving traffic or long stops.