Q: Engine quits at any speed even when idling - 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300 CE

Four months ago I started having trouble with my engine quitting at any speed and even when it idles. The first time it occurred, I was driving at 30 mph. At the time I overlooked it because it was fine the next 300 miles. After that, the problem started occurring more frequently. This is an intermittent problem; some days it happens and others it does not. I have replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, leads, and rotor arm. What is the next step I should take to find the source of this problem?

Hey there, thanks for writing in. You will need to verify to see if the problem is in the ignition module not giving spark when the engine dies. If no spark is given, then the most common cause of the problem is the ignition module not producing spark signal. There are different modules within the system so you will need to verify the correct module is being used. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling issue and guide you through the appropriate repairs.

3. Engine quits at any speed even when idling - 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300 CE