Q: Engine power reduction

After being in a stop position, like at a stop sign, when I accelerate my Impala, it lunges forward. Now, the car's 'Check Engine Light' is coming on, plus a message: 'Reduced Engine Power'. I have tried restarting my car, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes I have to drive with reduced power/speed. What is causing these problems?

There are several different things that could possibly be causing this issue. One of the more likely causes would be a fuel or ignition problem causing the transmission to react differently than if the engine were running normally. The Check Engine Light always comes on quickly when one of these issues exists. It is also quite possible that a catalytic converter could be failing, causing the same issue.

My best recommendation would be to get multiple opinions. YourMechanic offers mobile mechanics that will come to your home and inspect your vehicle’s loss of power condition. This could be another way to generate a second opinion. A full inspection of the fuel, ignition, and exhaust systems is recommended for best results in the diagnosis of this issue.

3. Engine power reduction