Q: Engine overheated now lots of fluid leaks

The radiator in my 2008 Honda Pilot started overflowing a mix of oil and coolant the other day. The vehicle had just begun to overheat so I pulled over. The diagnosis was oil leaking into the coolant. With my car at the 30,000 mile mark, what does this mean for the engine? Is it totally ruined now?

The engine in your Honda Pilot overheated and oil was getting into the coolant from the engine head gasket, cracked cylinder head, or crack in an engine oil galley. In order to diagnose the failure, first make sure the engine oil is low, which indicates oil came from the engine. Next, the cylinder heads need to be removed to inspect for cracks in the head, gaskets, or cylinders. If the heads are cracked, then replace the heads. If no cracks are found in the heads or gaskets, then an oil gallery in the engine may be cracked and the engine would have to be replaced with a new, remanufactured or used engine. A new radiator and flush out any contaminated overflow bottles is also recommended. A trained mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect your engine for overheating and provide you with a diagnosis as well as an estimate for repairs.

3. Engine overheated now lots of fluid leaks