Q: Engine out of time - 1997 BMW 740iL

I have just finnished doing a head gasket and timing chain rail job, I go to start the engine and it clatters and kind of putters, it started up and ran but I turned it off because it sounded bad, now my question is how much would it most likely cost to have the cam shafts set back in time

A: Hello there, an improperly timed engine can...

Hello there, an improperly timed engine can result in serious damage to your 1997 BMW 740iL. When the timing is not set properly, the risk is if the timing is far enough out of the valves can come into contact with the pistons. This vehicle should be not driven or engine ran until the issue has been resolved. If you need help having this done, an experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your location to replace the timing chain or make the proper timing adjustments. You can enter your vehicle information into our estimator page to get a quote for the services you need.