Q: Engine light having P0171 code

This summer my car's check engine light came on with P0171 code and I experienced lack of power in multiple cases. When I took it to a mechanic, they found a rupture in the valve cover and replaced (cost me $600 total). However, the engine light still comes back on every now and then (goes away sometime after I fill up the tank to full). How much would it be to actually fix the issue?

Hi there. The P0171 code means that, on the first bank of the engine, the fuel system is running weak or a vacuum leak exists near this side of the engine. A lean condition occurs when the engine either receives too little fuel or too much air. There could be multiple components causing this error code to illuminate including faulty O2 sensors, bad wiring harness to these sensors, or a vacuum leak. It’s hard to give you an estimate on repair without knowing the precise component that is causing this error code, so it’s best to have a professional mechanic complete a check engine light inspection, so they can download all stored codes and pinpoint the source of the error. This will allow them to recommend a repair.

3. Engine light having P0171 code