Q: Engine is making noise, Check Engine Light is on, and transmission stuck in second gear - 1992 Dodge Spirit

My car has 118,000 miles on it. When I drive at the speed around 60 mph, I can hear the engine making noise. The dashboard is showing the Check Engine Light illuminated as well. Several months ago, the transmission was flushed. Most recently, the car was tuned up. However, I decided to take it to a shop due to these issues. I was told the transmission cannot go out of the second gear. How serious is this problem?

Hello. If the transmission is sticking in gear, then it needs to be rebuilt. It is possible that the transmission is being put into the wrong gear if the shifter is not properly adjusted. If it is adjusted as it should be, then the transmission will need to be checked by a transmission specialist. A good place to start with this diagnosis would be to have an expert scan the vehicle for codes to shed insight on either the engine noise, the shifting problem, or both. From there, a more thorough inspection can be done to pinpoint the relevant causes.

• Engine is making noise, Check Engine Light is on, and transmission stuck in second gear - 1992 Dodge Spirit