Q: Engine is locked... My car is an automatic 1999 Chevy Lumina with 80,000 miles it’s clicking when turning the key. Didn't over hea

My engine is still locked... My car is an automatic 1999 Chevy Lumina with 80/85,000 miles it clicked when turning the key. Didn't over heat, oil change last month, replaced (38 dys ago) leaking intake gaskets & thermostat, also had the radiator replaced. Tried turning the engine over by hand, nothing - removed the spark plugs (old) & serpentine Belt, still nothing. Just need to understand what could have made the engine lock up & what can I do to get it back to normal - because people want me to throw in the towel.

The engine could be locked due to mechanical breakage. To rule that in or out, first check to see if the starter motor pinion gear is jammed in the ring gear on the flex plate. If it is not, disconnect the torque converter from the flex plate. If no problem is found and the engine is still locked, if the engine is of the non-interference type, remove the timing chain to isolate the top end from the bottom end. If you have an interference engine, though, obviously don’t try that as such movement will damage the engine. Once you figure out if the problem is in the valve train versus the bottom end, you will have to disassemble the engine to repair it. If you want these diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will identify the problem and give you a full slate of repair options to consider. It is definitely repairable (everything is) but first you need to identify the fault. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Engine is locked... My car is an automatic 1999 Chevy Lumina with 80,000 miles it’s clicking when turning the key. Didn't over hea