Q: Engine is difficult to start, it frequently dies and it takes several attempts to keep it running normally

I have some startup issues with my car. It frequently turns off when I try to turn it on. The engine starts running but very soon it just dies. Electrical parts are functional . Sometimes, after several attempts, the car starts running normally. Do you have any idea what is causing this?

A: There are many potential causes for your pr...

There are many potential causes for your problem. There is a recall for the fuel pump, which indicates that this is a common problem. It’s recall #220, and may be covered by Volvo if your VIN is on the list of included vehicles. A quick call to your local dealer will confirm whether your vehicle is covered or not. Of course, there are dozens of other reasons why your Volvo may be stalling.

Anything from a failed crankshaft sensor to a bad vacuum hose could be the cause. The first step is to check the computer network for any diagnostic trouble codes, which serves as a starting point for all further investigation. A trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your car’s hard-starting issue and let you know what repairs are needed.