Q: Engine Flooding?

I was driving on the highway doing about 70 and did not have a problem with my car running wise or anything. Problem is I was recommended synthetic oil for this car and as I was driving the engine most likely completely flooded or something causing my car to shut down entirely. I am wondering if a full synthetic oil mix in an older model car could cause the engine to shut down in such a fashion. Just had the alternator replaced and battery was turning over but the engine sounded flooded.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d by happy to help.

The oil you put into your car will not create the problem you are experiencing. It is simply a coincidence that it happened after an oil change.

I’m not sure if your motor has flooded; we should get a diagnosis first. I am assuming your car is experiencing a crank with no start (the motor turns over but won’t start). In this situation, you need to check for spark, fuel, injector pulse and camshaft timing. This is done with a spark tester, noid light, fuel pressure gauge and a compression tester. What is done next is dependent on what is found after these tests.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.

Hope this helps and good luck!