Q: Engine failed, what can I do?

I had the engine in my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 fail on me after just 100,000 miles. I changed the oil regularly and never noticed anything unusual. For the last few thousand miles before the engine failed, the truck began going through a lot of oil compared to what it usually took. I assumed it was just getting older and running a bit rougher, but now I am beginning to wonder if I should have suspected something sooner. Is there any way to go about replacing the engine cheaply? Also, can I do anything to make the next one less likely to fail?

From the sounds of it, you have done nearly everything possible. Regular oil changes, as outlined in the owner’s manual, are imperative. If the repairs are being done under warranty, the Dealer will most likely request copies. It is also important to maintain the oil level. Most engines use some oil, but if you find the oil use excessive, that can be an indicator. As for the repair, it really depends on the nature of the failure. Some cases do allow engine repair, some require engine replacement. If you are paying for the repairs, my advice is to do your research to make sure the route of repair matches your expectations. Many times engine replacement carries a warranty that can be a money-saver should any other engine related issues come up.