Q: Engine does not start easily once it is hot after driving continuously for about twenty minutes. Mileage is 16 miles per litre.

I am using a 3-cyclinder 800cc Suzuki car employing multipoint fuel injection. There is no problem at all with cold start. Once the car is driven for about 20 minutes on end and if the engine is switched off for about 10 minutes, then it becomes very difficult to start the engine again. I have to open the hood and let the engine cool down for about 10 minutes. Then it will start with a single crank as if it's still a cold start.

I had the fuel pump checked and the spark plugs have been replaced with new ones. But the bug still persists.

The main part of the ignition system is a canister type ignition coil WITHOUT a ballast [resistor]. The distributor is electronic ignition, not contact points as in the case of the carburettor version. Being an multipoint fuel ignition engine, there is, of course, an engine management unit [EMU].

My email ID: kumar.menon@aol.com for a personal reply. Is it safe to replace the ignition coil if it is faulty with a coil that uses a ballast?

Thank you.

3. Engine does not start easily once it is hot after driving continuously for about twenty minutes. Mileage is 16 miles per litre.