Q: engine dies while driving.

Car will be driving fine, then engine will lose power. Sometimes it corrects itself and power comes back to engine and I keep driving like nothing happened and with no further issues, other times car will come to a stop and completely shut off. Most times car will start right back up and I can continue driving. If it doesn't start right back up it does in a few minutes. However lately, if it doesn't start right back up it has been taking as long as 40-45 minutes before it will start again. And then it will start right up like nothing is wrong. There is no pattern as to when it happens. It's happens at 70 mph on the freeway and at 40mph in the city or sitting at a light. It has happened after only driving 10 miles and then I can go days, weeks, even months without it happening at all. But eventually it comes back. A couple of time recently after getting the car restarted and start to drive it had immediately died again, something it hadn't done before.

The most common problem that can cause the drive symptoms you have is a fuel pump in the fuel tank going bad. This will continue to get worse until it will not start at all, potentially leaving you stranded somewhere. I recommend having the fuel system and computer checked to see if you have any lean running codes that say that the engine is running low on fuel and goes lean at times. If you have no other codes, then I recommend having the fuel pump and fuel filter changed. If you would like to have this done, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to replace your fuel pump and filter.

3. engine dies while driving.