Q: Engine cutting out whilst coasting

Hi there, I drive a semi auto car. Often, I take my foot off the pedals and coast at a slow speed, but when I put my foot back on the accelerator, the engine cuts out. The car then wont move until I restart the engine. Is this normal or is there a problem with my car? Thanks for your help

This is definitely not a normal condition, and will need to be addressed. It sounds like the car is running too rich, and when you let off the accelerator to coast, it puts excess fuel into the cylinder, making it stall when you try to accelerate again. If its a newer model car, it could also be an electronic throttle body, throttle position sensor, or accelerator pedal position sensor problem. The first step would be to scan the engine control module to see if any fault codes are found, and continue the diagnosis from there. This should be done by a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to ensure that the problem is diagnosed properly.

3. Engine cutting out whilst coasting