Q: Engine cooling fan works fully when it's cold

Hi. I was wondering what could cause the engine cooling fan to start working fully and wouldn't quit all through a short-distance drive and about 15 minutes after the car is stopped. This happens when it is like 13-16 degrees C out and I don't know if the engine can get so warm that it causes this issue with the cooling fan. However, the car had no issues about 15 days ago at temperatures over 25 degrees C. This issue occurred out of the blue. What could cause this? I appreciate your help.

Hello. The cooling fan is activated when the temperature of the car reaches slightly above normal operating temperature. If the engine stays cool long enough, the cooling fans will not come on. If the engine gets warm but doesn’t overheat the cooling fan may stay on after the car has been shut off in order to cool down the engine. It is also possible that the coolant is low. This could cause the issue that you are describing with the engine cooling fan. It may be a good idea to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come out to top off the coolant in your vehicle.

3. Engine cooling fan works fully when it's cold