Q: Engine coolant dissapears and I get a lot of white steam out through exhaust

Hi there! I have an 08 VW Passat 2.0tdi 170hp. Engine coolant escapes through exhaust. I get a lot of steam. However engine does not overhead and engine oil looks good. No signs of coolant, water or white foam in oil. What can cause this issue? Thank you

A: Two things come to mind with the descriptio...

Two things come to mind with the description of your problem. You could have a blown engine head gasket or a blown turbocharger. Those two items would explain both a loss of coolant and smoke out of the exhaust.

Initially a coolant pressure test needs to be performed to verify there is a leak and no external leaks.

To check the head gasket a ’block test’ should be performed. It involves using a fluid that turns from blue to yellow if combustion is detected in the cooling system.

After that I would suspect the turbocharger. You can remove the front exhaust pipe to check for signs of coolant coming from the turbo.

If you’re not able to perform these checks, or are uncomfortable doing it, I would recommend seeking help from a professional. YourMechanic can connect you with a professional technician in your area that is able to check your cooling system for leaks and help you solve this problem.