Q: Engine Code P0172

This car does not have a Catalytic Converter.

The check engine light is on with the code of P0172 (Running Rich in BAY 1)

What exactly does that mean? I was told by a Subaru Technician that the air intake was less than the fuel being supplied to the engine and that it was the one causing that code. I have a Short Ram intake attached and just cleaned the MAF. It bogs and jerks when accelerating at about 2.5k RPMs but when put above 3k RPMs the acceleration is fine. Also running through a full tank of gas in about two days. I have found no leaks at all dripping on the ground but a strong smell of gas in the car and under the hood. I have researched a bit on this problem and people are saying it could be a faulty O2 Sensor, MAF, or Fuel Injectors.

Good afternoon. Thanks for contacting us today. P-0172 is a trouble code that is set when the ECU senses that there may be too much gasoline present in the air-fuel mixture of the engine. I would recommend reading this article about the code, what causes it and possible repair solutions. However, the fact that this vehicle is a catalytic converter delete, it’s going to be very difficult to isolate source of this problem, as the catalytic converter is a critical components of the overall fuel mixture input.

3. Engine Code P0172