Q: engine cam broke

1 have a Pontiac 3.8 engine can I use it to replace 3.1 chevy engine?

The Chevy Monte Carlo was only equipped with the 3.1 and 3.4 liter engines in 1996. The 3.8 was used for a lot of GM vehicles and come with different accessories and wiring connections.

You would need to verify all the engine mount locations to see if they can connect to hold the engine in the car. You will also need to compare electrical connections to be the same, or how to change them. Also, computers will not be compatible.

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you can use an engine camshaft for a Pontiac 3.8L motor to put in a Chevy 3.1L engine. In theory, you possibly could, however in order to make this camshaft work correctly in the 3.1L engine, you would need to spend an extraordinary amount of money on other modifications to cylinder heads, valves and other valve train components to make this work properly.

In addition to this, it would also require a significant amount of modifications to ignition components and computer reprogramming as well.

My recommendation would be that this is not a viable option for what you are trying to accomplish. I would recommend buying the correct camshaft for your application.