Q: Engine

I need to know what happened. Brought my car in for a battery, they said I was leaking oil and needed gasket valve cover replacement. Staring the next day, my car is shit!!! It's making knocking noice, the check engine light came on, auto start quit working along with my heated seats and floor vents. What did they do to my car??

Typically, if a short circuit occurred while replacing the battery, or the battery was installed (momentarily) with reverse polarity, or wires were left disconnected, all of the resulting electrical problems, that is the ones you are observing, would be present at the instant you took delivery, not a day after. If you download the diagnostic trouble codes, depending on what those codes are, they might provide sufficient clues to back into a "cause and effect" (that is, are they culpable and if so, what led to the outcome?). If misfiring is behind the knocking noise, that could be part of the "electrical connection" to the story. You could possibly go back to the shop and try to get some insight into what may have happened but IF they did, in fact, damage your vehicle maybe that is not the wisest course (who knows what else they might add to the problem in the course of now "fixing" it). It’s best to proceed under the assumption that whatever happened is repairable and to that end, start by downloading the available trouble codes because, as noted, depending on exactly what those codes are, they may provide sufficient clues to get this problem both understood and, more importantly, resolved. If you want to pursue a check engine light diagnostic with a technician from YourMechanic simply request a check engine light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get the entirety of this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.