Q: Q: Engine

I left my home and after about a minute the car turned off so i pulled over and tried to start it again which did start but made a grinding noise. i immediately turned off the car and checked under the hood to find a low level of oil. i went to the store and bought some oil and replaced it into the car. the car starts fine and the grinding noise disappeared but makes a ticking or thumping noise.

Hi there:

Anytime the engine is low on oil to the point that you hear a grinding noise, it’s typically an indication of serious internal damage. When the tick happens, it’s usually cylinder head hardware, such as lifters or valve guides that are loose. It might be a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection so they can accurately determine what is causing this problem.