Q: Engine belt keeps coming off in the rain and car doesn't start

My car engine belt keeps popping off when I make a quick move or drive through the rain or a puddle. The car.shuts down. I've had my mechanic fix it multiple times. What happened and/or how can I get it fixed once and for all?

Hello. It sounds like you are having an issue with one of the pulleys being out of adjustment or one of the bearings in the pulley going bad causing it to wobble and finally come off when it gets slick. It is also a possibility that your belt tensioner is going bad causing too much slack in the belt and getting a little slick when coming off. This is a very simple fix and can be done at your home. If you need to have this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and proceed with proper repairs.