Q: Emergency brake stuck

The emergency brake was pulled up, and now it will not release.

This is a common issue on the Ions. The lever on the caliper will not release the parking brake. Sometimes re-engaging the parking brake lever will release the emergency brake but generally will only work for a short period of time. Replacing the rear calipers is the best way to correct this problem, although a sticking parking brake cable needs to be ruled out even though this occurs less often.

You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to assist in the diagnosis and repair of the parking brake system, especially if the calipers need to be replaced as the brake system will not only have to opened but properly filled and bled for the braking system to be safe.