Q: Eletrical

While driving automatically doors unlock radio and climate control turn off, hazards come on. Mechanic said instrument cluster$$$. Sometimes there are no issues and the panel works fine. Sometimes car does start, seems like it goes through a cycle and after5-15 minutes starts up. He quotes me at 1800! I want to ask here first before I shell out that amount. Is there something else I should look into?

A: I will only recommend having the instrument...

I will only recommend having the instrument cluster checked by a Land Rover trained mechanic. The vehicle is known to have many issues with electrical system that include communication buss to electrical components failing. If you go online and search up for your vehicle’s known problems, you will get many many pages of complaints like yours with many different fixes.

If the mechanic says the cluster is bad, I would not know if it is a communication wire to the cluster or the cluster itself that is the problem. The cost to repair these vehicles are also high and you will see this online as some of the complaints. I also see vehicles having major problems with the car only being 6 months old. If you feel you can trust the mechanics diagnosis as the problem being the cluster, then I would say go for it. If you are looking for a second opinion, then I would have a second independent mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic diagnose your electrical system and see if they come up with the same diagnosis before you shell out the cash for a large repair like that.