Q: Electronics don’t work right when it’s raining

I drive a 2008 Chevrolet Impala with around 102,000 miles on it and sometimes when I drive through a puddle the electronics malfunction. I am not a mechanic, but I know that this is not a good problem at all. The lights and power steering shut off for like 15 seconds. I am really worried about this causing a wreck, but the warranty on this car is expired so the fix may be expensive. What can I do? I am tired of not leaving my home just because of the rain!

A: The power steering belt could be slipping w...

The power steering belt could be slipping when you go through a puddle causing no power assist till the belt is out of the water. Check belt and tensioner for need of replacement. The electronics malfunctioning after going through a puddle could be shorting from water entry into the electrical connections that are failing when you go through the water. First let me say that vehicles were not meant to go under water and are subjected to water spray from the factory and not submerged in water. However, most connectors will keep out water in most situations. You will have to have subjected connectors disconnected and a dielectric lube to be put into them to keep out water and corrosion. This would include items like modules and headlight connectors. A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, should be able to check the power steering and electrical connectors for you at your home or office.