Q: Electronic side rail issue on a GMC Yukon

My mother's GMC Yukon with over a 100,000 miles and electronic side rail stopped working after a while. What happened? Do you see a lot of problems with the rails coming down?

A: Yes all of the time. When you have electron...

Yes all of the time. When you have electronic problems and when you add electronic side rail that goes up and down, they often end up breaking after the water from the tires sprays up when you drive in the rain.

If it were mine, I would get it so that the rail comes out and then disconnect the motors so it stays that way and so it's there all the time. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it not being there if you want to step up. If you don't want to step up, do it the other way. Have it in and then disconnect it so it stays in.

If you want to have this inspected, a technician from YourMechanic can look into your electrical wiring to see what repairs are needed.