Q: Electrics issue in a relatively new car

I have an issue with the battery in my 2011 Chrysler 200 with 35,000 miles on the clock. The battery will die, usually with little warning and all of the electronics will fail at the same time. This could be extremely dangerous for me depending on the situation and it is making me weary driving this car now. I am starting to think this car is a lemon. I have replaced the alternator and it is on the third battery! What is going on here?

Most of the electrical systems in your car are controlled by a module that controls power to the components when you want power. When you leave your vehicle and lock your doors it will stay active for a short time, then will shut off all power to interior lights, power adapters, and anything that could cause battery power drain. You may have a body control module that is not going through the time out function and is keeping items powered up until they drain your battery. Another problem is the batteries in these vehicles have a battery temperature sensor in the battery tray of your vehicle. This sensor will normally sense the temperature of the battery to maintain an optimal charging rate from the alternator. If you have a defective sensor it could let the battery overcharge and this would shorten the battery and alternator life. You could have YourMechanic test your system for the defective battery temperature sensor and your body control module function by scanning the computer systems for defects or problems.