Q: Electrical Short/Power dimming when brakes pressed. Turn signal fuse blowing. 1980 Dodge B200

I seem to have an electrical short. My battery is dying out constantly. When I hit my turn signals the fuse blows every time. Does that mean there is something wrong with the turn signal switch? For awhile I was having trouble with the turn signals, and the left turn signal wouldnt work. I have a tilt steering wheel, and the left turn signal only worked when the steering wheel was tilted down. Also, when I press on my brakes, the power on the dash seems to flicker and dim. What does this mean?

I really hope you can help! thank you.

Hello - you have electrical problems for sure, possibly more than one. A short in the steering column wiring seems likely. This problem can be diagnosed by connecting an ammeter to the positive (red) battery cable, observe the current drain (likely less than 1 amp), then, one at a time, remove each fuse, check to see if the current drain has dropped to near 0, then reinsert the fuse. start with the brake/turn signal lighting circuit. This process should identify the faulty circuit in most cases. The specific components on that circuit can then be checked for current drain problems. A professional mechanic, like YourMechanic, can come to your location, and perform this procedure for you, and replace/repair the failing component.

• Electrical Short/Power dimming when brakes pressed. Turn signal fuse blowing. 1980 Dodge B200