Q: Q: electrical problems

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe everytime I drive it around it's fine. Once I turn it off I have to wait 15 to 20 minutes to start it back up again. My engine light isn't on so I don't know what's wrong with it.

Ideally, I would ask you a question. Does it crank or not when it won’t start?

This is certainly an electrical component failure. Electrical components are susceptible to heat failures. What I outline below are some of the possibilities.

No Crank

It is very common for Chevy starters to get to hot and not crank the motor. Waiting 15-20 minutes allows it to cool down and then it will turn the motor and allow it to start. There are two ways to fix this.

Heat shield. If the starter has a heat shield, then you will need to replace the starter. if there isn’t a heat shield, you could begin by adding one and see if that fixes your problem. If you have installed headers or an aftermarket exhaust system of some sort, you will need to find a way of keeping the heat from the starter by installing a quality heat shield. There are many different designs of heat shields. Do some research to see what will work best for you. Keep in mind, once a starter begins to exhibit this symptom, you may need to replace the starter as well as add a heat shield.

Crank No Start

Fuel Pump System. The next possibility, but less common in the context of your symptoms, is the fuel pump or fuel pump relay. These two items are electrical components just like your starter motor. All electrical components are susceptible to heat problems. You will need to check fuel pressure when the car won’t start to know for sure.

Ignition. Ignition module is mounted under the distributor cap and is a very common failure of this type. Check for spark when it is failing.

PCM (powertrain control module). The PCM is not a common failure on your vehicle, but it can fail much like the others.

If you need some assistance with these checks, book one of our mechanics to help you diagnose your starting issue and perform the necessary repairs to get your car going again.

Good luck!

3. Q: electrical problems