Q: Electrical issue with window

I'm diagnosing electrical problem on my truck for my passenger window not going down it's stuck in the up position. On the driver side where all the power window switch controls all windows work beside the passenger window it won't go down . So I started to diagnosis the passenger electrical switch system . Now there is power going to the switch and to the motor but the circuit tester only shows power going to the motor when the window power switch is being activated going in the up position but activating the power switch into the down position I get no power . So do I replace the window motor or the switch ?

A: Hi there. If you are still unsure after tes...

Hi there. If you are still unsure after testing both components, you could always make a switched jumper wire, or use a circuit tester that is capable of acting as a switch. This way, you can avoid having to buy another switch and taking a chance that it is not the problem. Or you could supply voltage directly to the motor, in a short burst, to see if the motor functions in each direction. Just be aware that you need to be careful not to injure yourself around the moving parts. If you would like to have an expert perform this procedure for you, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the electrical system and follow through with proper repairs.