Q: EGR light on

The EGR light is on, and the EGR hoses are melted. The smog pump and diverter valve are not on the vehicle. The van was running good for a year. The cat is gutted. The no start happened when the EGR hoses melted and I lost vacuum.

A: I have seen melted EGR hoses and loss of va...

I have seen melted EGR hoses and loss of vacuum goes along with this. This is typical of a restricted exhaust. If you are not getting the exhaust out, there is little room for new air. That is why there is no vacuum. The hot exhaust gasses stay in the pipes and can get so hot that they melt EGR hoses. If you have a misfire, this would make the condition worse as raw fuel is being forced into the exhaust area. The raw fuel can combust in the exhaust producing more heat. If you would like to have these issues resolved, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come visit your home or office to inspect your EGR troubles and make the necessary repairs for your car.