Q: Dynamic Timing Not Working

I have a 85 Toyota Celica. I've shorted out the T and E1 of the dynamic timing and set it to 5 degrees top dead center. In theory, when I pull the wire out, it's supposed to go to 12 degrees but it's not. It doesn't move at all. What is the solution? (I must get fix this issue in order to pass a part of the California smog certification.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

When adjusting the ignition timing you should have the engine warmed up. Jump the E and T terminals in connector near firewall and adjust the ignition timing to 5 degrees btdc and then remove the jumper. You should see timing jump when you accelerate the engine. If you do not see any movement then you will need to have the pinpoint tests done to see if it is in the computer or distributor that is causing the problem. This test is very long and requires the pinpoint test sequence to follow precisely. If not you may replace good components. I recommend this test be done with the manual or a mechanic like one from YourMechanic.