Q: Drops in to low gear and have to shut off then restart

I'm going down the hiway at 60 miles a hour. I slow down to turn a corner and it shifts in to low gear. So I have to shut off my car then it's fine till the next time I slow down. Then I have to do it again. That's the only issues. Fluid is clean an up to the right amount. It's a 2000 intepid 2.7 liter.

Hi there. If the vehicle is shifting into low gear when slowing down, and it will not come out until it is restarted, then most of the time this is a valve body issue. This is a common failure on this vehicle. I usually scan the computer for codes first to see if there are any issues recorded by the computer as there are a few sensors that can cause similar issues. If there are no codes then I test the transmission pressures to see if I can identify any internal transmission failures. If the pressures are also fine then I typically remove the transmission pan and inspect the fluid for any metal. If there is metal then the transmission is failing. If there is not then it may just need a valve body service. In order to diagnose this issue, a YourMechanic certified technician can come to your home or place of business and perform a car is stalling inspection on your vehicle.