Q: Drop in power after I heard a pop. Truck makes noise when in gear.

I think something happened to the transmission. The truck is making a whining noise when I put it in gear. While accelerating I felt a large pop or thud, and the vehicle dropped in power, but continued to drive and accelerate.

A: Hi there. Many people have experienced the ...

Hi there. Many people have experienced the exact same issues with their Tahoe’s that you are having. There are a number of common issues with this transmission that can cause this. It can be a failure of one of the bands in the transmission or it can be a fracture in the sun shell. In either instance the best place to start would be to remove the transmission oil pan and inspect the fluid for debris or metal shavings. Metal is a sure sign of a serious issue that is going to require a rebuild. At that point you would need a certified mechanic to tear down the transmission and rebuild it.