Q: Drl error making service light pop up

I have a 2003 Chevy cavalier upon looking on forums many other people have this same issue I just haven't resolved mine, I just bought this car for my wife it's the ls model the headlights work the fogs work and the highbeam works.The problem is when I turn the car on all fine no problems when I put the car in reverse to back out the DRl flickers for a couple seconds then disappears then the service light pops on, if I turn headlights on before backing out the light never comes on the light only comes on if the headlights are off and I put it in reserve. The things I have done to try and fix this issue was replacing the relay fuse and both bcm fuses in the fuse box in the car

A: If I were working on your car, I would read...

If I were working on your car, I would read the code that is set when the service light turns on. Barring doing this, it would be good to know if the DRL work normally other than this issue. Beyond these two details, there are reports of a wiring splice behind the left hand headlight that causes some problems. As well as a resistor behind the front bumper cover that can fail. Changing the relay was a good start.

Beyond these two items, the BCM (body control module) is involved. Witch I am wondering about because of what happens that seems to create the problem. Being, putting the car into reverse. In the wiring diagrams, the BCM is the only connection between the headlights and the neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch is what tells informs the computer modules on the car what gear your car is in. The PCM (powertrain control module) is also involved to some degree as well.

The reality is, this could be a very easy diagnosis and it could be one of those diagnosis that everyone looses on. Meaning, a technician could easily spend more time on this than he or she could charge for and you could end up paying more than the problem is worth to fix. Let's hope for the easy diagnosis of course.

If you would like help with this, I recommend the following inspection ; Electric problems to address this specific issue.

Good luck!