Q: Driving belt and water pump replacment

I have a 2006 hyundai sonata that I just took into the shop since I thought I was leaking coolant. They just informed me that I need to replace my driving belt and water pump. They didn't mention anything about a leak, just that I need to replace those two things. I had my water pump replaced at 65000 miles. Can you please give me some advice on whether I need to do this? or if this is just recommended maintenance. I have never had my drive belt replaced.

Hello. They should have told you exactly what component was leaking. It’s still unclear if it’s the water pump, radiator, or something else leaking. The drive belt (also called the serpentine belt) should be replaced if it has cracks or got coolant on it from a water pump leak. The serpentine belt needs to come off when the water pump is worked on, so there should only be a charge for the part and no additional labor. I suggest you get a second opinion from another qualified mechanic. Consider YourMechanic, as their certified mobile mechanics can come to your home or workplace to inspect what’s causing the leak.

3. Driving belt and water pump replacment