Q: Driveshafts going bad

Hi, 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback. History of the car is basically no needed maintenance for 13 odd years, due to low mileage for the majority of it's life (2002 - 2013). Beginning 2014, more intensive driving began, which the car had not been used to.....ever. Problem areas began to arise. One problem, CV Axle assembly needs replacement. It is very evident from vibration, sound and visual inspection that both half shafts are bad. My question is.....could driving on a bad axle for any amount of time have a detrimental effect on the rear shafts and differential? If so, how can I know for sure it is bad....or ok?

If the axles are bad and vibrating then they may affect the parts that are connected to them. The axles may start to wear the bearings, shocks and bushings in the suspension. I recommend having the axles replaced and any other problems diagnosed. I would have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, replace the axle and diagnose anything else that may be causing the car to vibrate.