Q: Drives, but doesnt shift out of first gear

Back in February 2016 I started with this problem. I took it to a dealership and they fixed it said it was a solenoid that needed to be replaced. And I had a leak so they fixed that and sent me on my way. No problems til now. It's happening again. The car will start normal, drive normal until it's time to shift from first gear into second. The rpm will just go up and not shift. My question is could it be the same problem? Since then I've only put 7,000 miles on the car

Automatic transmissions are tricky. It may be the same problem again. If it is you need to look further into why the solenoid is continuing to fail. There is going to be a power supply or similar issue that is causing premature failure. The leak is another cause for concern. Have you verified that the repair to the leak is holding? Also, check the transmission fluid level.

Automatic transmissions are very dependent on having proper pressures, and a leak will cause low pressure. Low pressure will cause issues like the one you describe, as well as some other symptoms. When diagnosing complex systems such as this, try and keep it as simple as possible until you have to dive into more complicated possibilities. Trace previous issues, like the solenoid and leak, as well as any places that may have received damages since the last repair.

If you’re unable to fix the issue yourself, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose the issue with your gears firsthand and help you fix it accordingly.

3. Drives, but doesnt shift out of first gear