Q: Driver's seat back collapses backwards while driving

While backing out of a parking space, the back of my seat moved and caused me to hit the side mirror on a post. I checked the seat and it seems to be in a locked position. Then later, I was driving on a dirt road when my seat back totally collapsed! I got to the side of the road. The dealership wanted way too much just to ‘look’ at the seat, so I need to find a different solution. The seat will not stay in place. If I touch it with the slightest pressure, it falls back. When I move the seat up and down, there is a noise. Naturally I’m worried this will happen again in traffic, especially when at high speeds would be extremely dangerous! So I’m not going to drive it on the highway. Can you tell me how to fix this myself?

Thanks for writing in about your 2001 Chrysler LHS. There is a recall for the seat back bolt causing the seat to loose recliner lock. The recall is 03V035000 recliner bolts 1970-01-01. You will have to call a dealer and see if the recall covers your car. If it does then there will be no cost to you. The dealer should be able to replace the recliner bolts.

3. Driver's seat back collapses backwards while driving