Q: Driver's door locking intermittently

The driver's door sometimes locks intermittently. While sitting in the car, I can push the button all the way down, and someone outside can sometimes still open the door. If I use the key, it doesn't always lock the door, even though it has worked in the past. The lock button will not go fully to the top. Sometimes I can lock the door and go out the passenger's side door and it will still be unlocked.

A: Hello. If the door is locking all by itself...

Hello. If the door is locking all by itself and the other locks do not do so then you have a short in the locking circuit. Most of the time the problem is in the door itself. It is caused by a bad actuator. It can also be caused by a bad door lock switch. I typically remove the door panel and check the wiring. If there are no wiring issues, then I disconnect the switches one at a time to see when it stops. This lets me know where the problem is. If you are going to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your door lock issue and make any necessary repairs.