Q: Driver has to gas engine to prevent shutting down

My pickup has been running rough and I want to fix this, as well as a problem with the engine. When I turn on my truck and begin to drive it, the engine shuts down while I'm driving. If I can tell it is about to happen, I can give it gas and prevent its quitting. This is not only annoying, but cause for concern for my safety and my passengers. I also want to tune up my truck. It gets 26 mpg mileage, which is great; however, I think it could get even better. What should be my next step in getting my pickup in top rate performance?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1993 Isuzu Pickup. If you’re getting 26 mpg in a 23 year old truck, that’s as good as it gets. As far as the stalling out, there are many potential causes. Since you said it will stay running if you give it gas, my first thought is lack of fuel pressure. This could be due to a failing pump or pressure regulator. Of course, applying the throttle also changes engine load and manifold vacuum, which can affect a number of onboard sensors and components. The only way to know the exact cause is to have your vehicle inspected by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, who can inspect your car stalling problem and replace the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator if necessary.

3. Driver has to gas engine to prevent shutting down